Written by Jason Reiss

The NMRA and NMCA returned to Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, Illinois this weekend, for the Fourth Annual Nitto Tire Super Bowl of Street Legal Drag Racing. After three days of insane racing action, we've got winners in all classes. Not only did we see multiple records absolutely destroyed in various classes, but the racer turnout was one of the largest we’ve ever seen, along with lots and lots of fans in the stands. Read on for all of the juicy details!

In Turbonetics Pro Outlaw 10.5, Barstow, California’s Doug Sikora showed up with his ProCharger-powered 398-inch small-block Ford to take his shot with the East Coast’s 10.5 big boys. After obliterating the record with his number-one-qualified 6.69 pass, he proceeded to run through the entire field, taking the first-round bye to a 6.68 single before running right past Mike Murillo in a killer drag race in the second round. Dan Millen, on the other side of the ladder, won easily over Jim Brown’s shutdown pass in the first round before using a 6.72 to get past ’08 Champ Conrad Scarry in round two, setting up a killer final round between the two fastest cars on the property. The final round saw Sikora hang a heavy holeshot on Millen, but Millen pulled it out on the top end, 6.72 to 6.76.

ProCharger’s Super Street Outlaw class is the epitome of small-tire performance in the entire drag racing world. Three-time Drag Radial champion John Kolivas decided to show up this weekend and play with his new Outlaw Radial-type combination. After some initial drama surrounding a tire issue, Kolivas decided to bolt on a set of incredibly tiny 275/60/15 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial tires and make a couple of passes. He ended up qualified number one in an incredibly tough field of the baddest men in the land. He ran past friend and customer Brad Medlock in round one, before taking the second-round bye to an insane 7.33 pass, giving him lane choice against John Macdonald in the third round. Macdonald stood the car way up, while Kolivas got out of shape, but stayed into it and won with a 7.43. On the other side of the ladder, John Urist advanced to the second round when Chris helms didn’t show up for round one. He came up against Kentucky’s Vinny Barber in round two, who had beaten Chris Tuten in round one. Urist and Barber lined up, but Barber redlit to end his chances to advance, sending Urist through the semifinal bye and setting up the final round with John Kolivas. The two multi-time champions lined up, and Urist redlit his chances away, while Kolivas powered down the track to a 7.32 at 193.60 for his first-ever SSO win.

We now have a seven-second BFGoodrich Tires Drag Radial class. After years of struggling to get into the seven-second zone, the racers in this class have stepped it up in a big way over the last couple of races. Qualifying saw Sean Lyon’s 7.95 head right to the top of the ladder, while Dave Guy and Jason Lee also snuck into the sevens. Woodbridge, Ontario’s Enzo Pecchini won over Jeff Lorch in the first round before meeting up with Stephen Biggs in the second round, where the Killer Canuck won handily with an 8.09 to Biggs’ 8.25, handing him a bye, where he proceeded to crack off an 8.01, his best pass ever, sending him to the final. On the other side of the ladder, Pennsylvanian Dave Guy ran bracket-like seven second passes from the moment he unloaded his car on Friday. A 7.99 took him right past Jimmy Dahl in round one, then he uncorked an insane 7.91 to take out Ken Ewer in the second round to set up a semifinal with Jason Lee. Lee nailed the tree with a .039 reaction time, then cranked out an 8.03 to Guy’s 8.05 to move on to his fourth consecutive final round. In the final, Lee handed the win to Pecchini with a .052 redlight, giving the killer Canuck his first-ever NMRA win and ending Lee’s streak at three this season.

Diablosport’s EFI Renegade class is another eliminator that has been improving steadily all season long. After qualifying number one with a strong 8.38, Alton Clements met up with Bob Cook in round one. Clements redlit his chances away against Bob Cook in round one, sending Cook directly to the semifinals via a second-round bye. Bart Tobener, another Modular-powered car, had an easy single in round one when Mike Catapano didn’t make the call. Tobener then proceeded to take out Brian Mitchell in the second round with a wicked holeshot, 8.56 to Mitchell’s 8.55 in a close race, setting up a semifinal matchup with Cook. Cook uncorked a .007 reaction time, but it wasn’t enough on the big end as Tobener powered around him, 8.55 to 8.81. On the other side of the ladder, Dan Rawls used the round’s quickest pass, an 8.44, to put Rich Groh on the trailer before moving on to face Chris VanGilder, who arrived in the quarters after beating Chad Almandinger. Rawls earned the holeshot over VanGilder before simply outrunning him to the stripe, 8.51 to 8.87. He then took the bye right into the final round against Tobener. The final round saw Rawls crank out a perfect reaction time, then win with an 8.52 to Tobener’s 8.50 on the holeshot.

The Edelbrock Hot Street class is the epitome of small-block Ford-powered naturally-aspirated racing. Charlie Booze qualified number one, earning himself a bye into the semifinals where he’d face off against Bob Hanlon, who advanced when Jim Sutterlin redlit in the first round. Unfortunately for Hanlon, he left before the tree activated, ending his weekend and sending Booze on to the final round. ’08 Champ Robbie Blankenship went up against Kentucky’s Don Bowles, who proceeded to uncork a holeshot that gave him a half-tenth lead right out of the gates. Blankenship couldn’t keep up with Bowles after losing the battle on the tree, allowing Bowles to move onto the semifinal. Max Gross won over Rick Riccardi in the first round on a strong holeshot, sending him on to meet up with Bowles in the semifinal. Bowles overcame a wild wheelstand and a tenth advantage on the tree by Gross to move on with an 8.65 to Gross’ 8.77. In the final round, Bowles stood the car up hard and got slightly out of the groove, giving Booze the win, 8.64 to 8.68.

In the class that defines street-oriented parts, 5.0 Mustang Magazine Real Street, 2008 Champion Bruce Hemminger returned to the fold this weekend with his nitrous car. Hemminger took the first-round bye on the 7-car ladder, sending him on to the semifinals where he met up with fellow nitrous junkie Mad Matt Johnson, who advanced when Dave Ginter left before the tree activated in the first round. Hemminger and Johnson lined up, the tree came down, and Johnson didn’t move, handing Hemminger the win without a contest. Points leader Tim Matherly used a 9.60 to move on when teammate Jim Breese slowed at half-track, while Jim Pickel’s career-best 10.43 advanced him over Kevin Scott in the first round to set up the other semi. Unfortunately, Matherly repeated his performance from a year ago, redlighting his chances away, sending Pickel to the final in his second race in the class. In the final, Hemminger took a single for the win, as Pickel experienced electrical problems and couldn’t make the lane call.

Eibach Springs Pure Street saw Mark Anderson qualify number one, giving him a bye into the second round, where he faced off against Farmer Steve Gifford, who landed there after winning over Shawn Johnson in the first round. Despite a holeshot launch, Gifford couldn’t keep up with the 10.15 that Anderson put on the scoreboard to advance. Number two qualifier Teddy Weaver used a 10.23 to win over Amy Sherwin, then took advantage of his second-round bye to tune the car to a 10.17, setting up the semifinal. Weaver and Anderson lined up, the tree came down, both racers had wheels-up launches, and Anderson took the win with a 10.19 to move on to the final. On the other side of the ladder, Brandon Alsept had an easy time of it in the first round when Drew Lyons redlit with a heartbreaking -.004 reaction time. Ryan Hecox used a 10.23 to take out Eric Burkhart, then an even quicker 10.22 to win over Alsept, giving himself a bye right into the final round. In the final, Anderson took a big holeshot and carried his lead all the way through the traps and put a 10.25 on the scoreboard to end Hecox’s weekend.

In the incredibly-limited ACT Factory Stock class, two-time champion Tommy Godfrey qualified number one, then took out Jim St. Charles in the first round with an 11.14 to St. Charles’ 11.20 pass, sending him to the semifinal round via the competition bye in the second round. Michigan winner John Leslie Jr. took out Alan Cann in round one before coming up against friend Louie Sylvester Jr. in the second round, where he advanced easily to face Godfrey when Sylvester redlit. Godfrey and Leslie lined up at the tree, and Leslie nailed down the holeshot, but it wasn’t enough at the big end, as Godfrey put an 11.12 on the scoreboard to Leslie’s 11.30, setting up the final round. On the other side of the ladder, Jay Dold won over Jeremy Taylor, while Matt Amrine beat Brian Marr. Amrine and Dold lined up, and Dold uncorked an 11.28 in his Mach 1 to put Amrine on the trailer and advance to the final round via the competition bye. When the tree came down, Dold hammered the tree hard, but at the finish line, Godfrey pulled out the win with an 11.16 to Dold’s 11.35.

With 27 cars in the Roush Performance Modular Muscle class, it was a tough road to get to the final round. Local racer Scot Mistro beat out Zak Harty, Susan McClenaghan, and Shane Williams to land in the final. Another local, Mike McCombs, had to win over Paul Svinicki and Richard Robinson to take his place in the other lane. In the finals, McCombs lit the red bulb .005 too early, allowing Mistro to take the win.

The Steeda Open Comp class featured a 17-car field, and James Brand took out the competition he faced all weekend long in his Thunderbird to meet up with Paul Leaman, who cruised his nasty black ’31 Model A to a final round berth. When the tree came down, Leaman put the better package together to take the Open Comp win.

Detroit Locker Truck and Lightning had its largest class to date, with 27 trucks competing for the gold. Rick Devito took his Falcon Ranchero to the final round after defeating some stiff competition. On the other side of the ladder, ’08 Champ Mike Motycka did the deed and beat out Dave Cole in the semifinal to meet up with Devito. The final round saw Motycka go red at the hit, giving Devito his first-ever Truck and Lightning win.

In JDM Engineering Super Stang, Kent Nine was running on his number all weekend long, and the performances took him all the way to the final round. On the other side of the ladder, Milan winner Don Justus took his hotrod all the way to the final against some tough competition. In the final, Justus fell way off his dial and handed the win to Nine.