Thread: suspension & scale Q.

suspension & scale Q.

have a 88' fox coupe looking for a better front spring than the one I have. currently I've got a 90/10 lakewood fr strut with coil overs 14"-175lb rate springs. the car seems to be stuborn out front? the car if you lift up on the front end say you and another buddy each on both sides try to lift it its quite heavy feelin and it seems to fall pretty fast on compression? is this more of a ride height, strut valving issue, or a spring issue or all the above? the car has been scaled and is very light 100 lbs lighter on the front, 48% out front 52% out back! aluminum headed small block car minus driver is 2950with a 200lb driver its 3150lbs on the money! also prolly cut out bout 100+ lbs this year off the front end! this is a street car that I run on the street! thanks for any help!

Re: suspension & scale Q.

Quote Originally Posted by ondagas88
    have a 88' fox coupe looking for a better front spring than the one I have. currently I've got a 90/10 lakewood fr strut with coil overs 14"-175lb rate springs. the car seems to be stuborn out front? the car if you lift up on the front end say you and another buddy each on both sides try to lift it its quite heavy feelin and it seems to fall pretty fast on compression? is this more of a ride height, strut valving issue, or a spring issue or all the above? the car has been scaled and is very light 100 lbs lighter on the front, 48% out front 52% out back! aluminum headed small block car minus driver is 2950with a 200lb driver its 3150lbs on the money! also prolly cut out bout 100+ lbs this year off the front end! this is a street car that I run on the street! thanks for any help!
    anybody want to try to take a stab at this? c'mon I need info! pm me if you can help and dont want somethin posted!

Blog Entries

If it's a street car, I wouldn't go much lighter on the spring. Most of the guys I've seen are around 130 lb. springs, but those are track only cars.
    Jason Reiss | Contributing Editor | Race Pages Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by ondagas88
    I don't like 90/10's at all but given the info above I say that your springs are way too stiff. With that light of a car you should be using at the most a 14"/150 and you could probably get away with 14"/130's. I would swap springs first then switch to adj struts.

ks

Talking Re: suspension & scale Q.

I have a 86 Gt with a 347 w/aluminum heads,still have the a/c compressor motor,no a/c lines,QA1 k-member w/coil-over conversion,70/30 struts,upr caster/camber plates,battery in trunk and 150 lbs. springs. My front end is too high up. Was considering a 130 lbs. spring. As per the front end dropping too fast. That's the 90/10 struts valving.

Quote Originally Posted by NMRA Jason
    If it's a street car, I wouldn't go much lighter on the spring. Most of the guys I've seen are around 130 lb. springs, but those are track only cars.
    very happy to see that someone has replied to my Q. and yes it is a street car! that dont see the track but I do want it to hook on the street! it is set up with full moly front and rear fully adjustable stock suspension, looks like a 10.5 non "W" tire car, is mini tubbed 28x10.5 M/T slick, aluminum headed small block, full moly/tig welded cage that would actually certify, motor has front and mid plates,run a glide W/brake, custom nos converter,narrowed 8.8 w/4.56's, stock appearring interior-even a back seat! have strange adjustable shocks in rear wich work great! but had this prob with the front that I cant quite iron out? talked to wolfe wich is were all my moly parts was purchaced they said 14"130's cause it had no stored energy to rebound the front-w/ the 14"175's! that is what I've decided to go with! what the heck I'll try it! I will eventually get a set of strange adjustables for the front! thanks!

just wondering,what spring rate you went with and how did it work?looking for suspension help.thanks

i had the same problem last year when i ran my qa1 .almost the same weights . took 2 people to pick up on the car ,i switched from 175 to 130 no change switched to strange front struts and 130s much better then i switched to a lower c/c plate and picked up 2 inches of travel in the front end and it very springy . going to try it out this weekend , but should be alot better but had some one tell me the other day that qa1s after you bottom them out they will blow the seal for comprestion . guess i should have checked that before i switched

just got a set of caster camber plates and think its gonna solve alot of the problem of the front end being in a bind as they have a rod end type bearing that allows movement in all direction! I went with the 14"130lb spring & it works great so far on the street! it transfers very well but need to get the bump steer set up! would like to hear from some of the drag radial tire guys to see how there set up is would like to try the 315x60's at the track and need some good pointers! thanks again!