View Full Version : Headed down the stretch run!

NMRA Jason
09-06-2009, 03:50 PM

Written by: Jason Reiss

In the four weeks since the last race concluded in Charlotte, the NMRA points picture is becoming clearer in many of the heads-up classes, while in others, the championship is still very much in the air. A great weekend of racing here in Columbus, Ohio, sets the stage for Bowling Green and the NMRA World Finals on the first weekend of October. Read on for all of the juicy details from this weekend…

The NMRA’s premier class, Turbonetics Pro Outlaw 10.5, had a stout field of eight racecars vying for the cash and prizes. In the first round, Jim Monson advanced over Jim Brown in a close race, 7.24 to 7.36. Mike Murillo faced off against local racer Brian Keller, and turned up the wick on the twin-turbo beast to move on to round two. Conrad Scarry’s 7.00 was good enough to advance over John Evans Jr., while Dan Millen’s 6.82 put Dwayne James on the trailer. Conrad Scarry faced off against Murillo, and both racers skated down the track, with Scarry snagging the 6.96 to 6.98 win. Michigan boys Jim Monson and Dan Millen were the other semifinal pair, and it was all over on the tree, as Millen took the holeshot and carried it through to the traps. With the number one and two qualifiers in the final, the tension was high after the burnouts were complete. Big-block vs. small-block, twin-turbo vs. single, automatic vs. stick. And on this day, Mr. Millen took the win with a stout 6.72 at 215.48 mph for his third win in a row.

In the ProCharger Super Street Outlaw class, John Urist had a first-round bye, running it out the back to a 7.42 and setting the tone for the session. Tim Huspen redlit against John Macdonald, and Don Burton turned in a 7.59 to take out Reggie Burnette Sr., while Chris Tuten had a freebie when Vinny Barber couldn’t make the lane call, setting up the semifinals. In the semifinals, Urist and Tuten faced off, and Urist turned in a 7.44 to send Tuten back to South Carolina. Macdonald and Burton took the tree next, and Macdonald clicked off a 7.50 to take the win, as Burton fell off to a 7.95. Urist picked the favored left lane, and when the tree lit up, Macdonald let the button go too early, giving Urist his second win of the year.

Although Chad Allmandinger was working with some newfound Kurgan Motorsports power, he turned on the red bulb .007 too early against George Seeger in the DiabloSport EFI Renegade class. A teammate battle between Dan Rawls and Brian Mitchell ended in Rawls’ favor, 8.52 to 8.62, and Brian Tuten turned in an 8.80 to put Chris Van Gilder on the trailer. In the last pass of the first session, Larry Hourcle turned on the clocks with an 8.58 to end Bart Tobener’s weekend. Dan Rawls redlit against Alton Clements in the first semifinal pairing, while Larry Hourcle turned in an 8.61 on his bye run to the final. Once the two racers staged up, the tree came down, Clements didn’t move, and Hourcle ran it out the back with an 8.64 to take the win.

Edelbrock’s Hot Street class was chock-full of badass small-block naturally-aspirated Ford power. After qualifying was complete, Robbie Blankenship sat atop the ladder with a stout 8.76 from his Roush Competition Engines-built 400 cubic-incher. He then eliminated Bob Hanlon in the first round, 8.79 to Hanlon’s 8.95. Rick Riccardi then lit the red bulb .002 early against Max Gross, while Ben Mens eliminated Charlie Booze Jr. In what was supposed to be the final pairing, Don Bowles had Jim Sutterlin, who didn’t make the call after a broken engine sidelined him. In the first semifinal pairing, Max gross earned the holeshot over Don Bowles, but his 8.94 wasn’t enough to get around Bowles’ 8.76. The next pairing found Blankenship and Mens squaring off, and Mens strapped a .017 reaction time on the champ, then carried an 8.83 out the back door to take the win. Bowles earned the reaction time advantage and outran Mens to the top end in an all-Roush final.

Round one of BFGoodrich Tires Drag Radial had #2 qualifier Enzo Pecchini taking out Pete Johnson, and Steve Thompson advancing with an 8.22 when Orson Johnson didn’t make the call. Jason Lee moved on when Bryan Byrd put the car on the bumper, and Matt Bell had a single run, as Jeff Lorch had parts breakage that didn’t permit him to compete. Number one qualifier Dave Guy tried to turn up the wick to earn lane choice, but went too far, carding a 10.19 out-of-shape pass. In the shocker of the second round, Dave Guy redlit his chances away against Steve Thompson. Thompson, to his credit, threw down an 8.13, the fastest nitrous pass ever in the class, and the fastest pass of the weekend so far. Jason Lee’s 8.22 assured him a bye to the final as he advanced over Matt Bell, and Enzo Pecchini took his bye run to test the right lane, which didn’t work for him. Pecchini and Thompson took the tree in the semifinals, and Thompson rolled the beams with a .102 redlight, sending Enzo to his fourth final round of the season. Lee wanted lane choice, and took his bye run to an 8.07 blast to earn it against Pecchini. The final round had Lee take the starting line advantage, then Pecchini got loose and had to lift, giving Lee his fourth win of the season.

In the first round of Real Street, Jim Breese advanced over MV Performance teammate Dave Ginter when Ginter got out of shape, while Tim Matherly moved on over Mad Matt Johnson with a stout 9.59 blast. Bruce Hemminger moved on with a single when Jim Pickel didn’t show. Pickel broke two pistons yesterday afternoon, after smoking a clutch on Friday, in what has become a difficult season for him. The semifinal had teammates Matherly and Breese facing off, and Matherly took the win this time around, 9.57 to Breese’s 9.65, while Hemminger took the bye run to a 9.59, setting up the finals. Matherly and Hemminger squared off, the scoreboards lit with identical 9.53’s, and the MOV was .013, giving Bruce Almighty his second win in a row.

The Eibach Springs Pure Street class is always full of drama, and this weekend was no exception. The first round saw Steve Gifford advance over Teddy Weaver, while Ryan Hecox put Mark Anderson on the trailer with a holeshot victory – 10.32 to 10.24 – a .007 MOV. Brandon Alsept advanced over Eric Burkhart, and Rocky Mason turned in a 10.43 to put Drew Lyons on the trailer back to Indiana. Gifford and Hecox faced off in the first semifinal pairing, with Gifford taking the holeshot win, 10.30 to Hecox’s 10.28. Ohio residents Alsept and Mason were the other pair, and Alsept’s 10.32 was enough to put him in the final round. The tree came down, and Gifford redlit, ending his weekend and giving Alsept the win.

Ten cars showed up this weekend for ACT Factory Stock, headlined by John ‘The Rockstar’ Leslie’s 11.26 top qualifier effort. Leslie ran another 11.26 to eliminate Jeremy Taylor in the first round, while Louie Sylvester ended Carlos Sobrino’s weekend with an 11.32 to Sobrino’s 11.37 pass. In the shocker of the round, Jim St. Clair redlit, sending Zane Reed to his first second-round appearance of the season. Jay Dold trailered Brian Marr, and Tommy Godfrey uncorked an 11.29 on Matt Amrine. The quarters found Sylvester advancing over Reed, while Godfrey turned in an 11.24 to eliminate Dold. Leslie took the competition bye again and clicked off an 11.33, setting up the semifinal against friend Sylvester. Both Leslie and and Sylvester spun off the line, but Sylvester recovered quicker and Leslie missed third gear, sending Sylvester to the final round against Godfrey, who had a bye through the semifinals. Sylvester fell off to an 11.75, and Godfrey picked up to an 11.19 to seal yet another win.

In other action, 19 trucks showed up for the Detroit Locker Truck and Lightning class. The final round found last year’s champ, Mike Motycka, up against Bob Cochran. At the finish line, the champ put another one under his belt with a 12.11 on a 12.08 dial.

In the JDM Engineering Super Stang class, zMax winner Chris Parisi found himself up against the tallest man in Super Stang, Matt Stanford, in the final. When the tree dropped, Parisi killed the tree, and although Stanford ran right on his number, it wasn’t enough to make it up on the big end.

Steeda’s Open Comp class had 33 cars on the property, and when they whittled down to the final round, Bryan Parker and Mike Buczynski took the competition out. When the tree dropped, Parker lit the red, handing Buczynski the win after a tough day of competition.

The Roush Performance Modular Muscle class featured 24 entries of the latest in Ford technology. The final round came down to Donnie Bowles and Reggie Burnette, Jr. In the final round, Bowles lit the red bulb .003 too early, handing Burnette the win.

09-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey NMRA folks. I just wanted to "Thank You" for another great event. I wanted to give Nick special "Thanks" for putting up with a drunking a$$hole on Saturday. You are truly a professional and an asset to the NMRA family. Same goes for Brandon, Reiss,Tre (sp?) and Jeff.

I have run in the NMRA for about 6yrs now. Until this year, it's just been True Street, but it has always been a pleasure. Race Pages does a great job of covering events, unlike the other mags.

Keep up the good work fella's. Ohhh and Charlie I think a round of raises is in order for the staff........................well it was worth a try! LOL!!!


Matt Stanford