PDA

View Full Version : A darn good time.

MERCAPRI
07-16-2012, 11:26 AM
I just wanted to say to everyone involved with the NMCA/NMRA, and all the great racers and fans, thank you! I had last competed in an NMRA race east of the Mississippi, in 2007. Since then I have had some pretty low times due to some unfortunate surgical circumstances. I had a knee replacement surgery in July 2009, and got a bllod clot in my right Popliteal Artery. Without laying blame on anyone, I can say, that the blood clot was not dealt with in a timely manner and was then mis-diagnosed as Compartment Syndrome. 5 days after my calf started swelling, I had lost all feeling in my right foot and was unable to rotate my foot or flex my toes. I was taken to surgery, to correct the "Compartment Syndrome" and my family and my Fiancee waited for the results. The surgical team sent out word that it would be necessary to amputate my right foot and possibly my lower leg since the 3 Fasciotomies that the Drs. performed did not restore the blood circulation to my foot. My Fiancee and my Family told the VA surgical representative that would be a major mistake to do an amputation without waking me. Someone unknown to us made a decision to have 2 Vascular surgeons perform 4 hours of Angioplasty to clear the clotted artery, and that restored my circulation. For the next year I was in and out of the hospital due to complications in having the Fasciotomies heal, as I am Diabetic and my lower extremities don't heal well. My Fiancee, Tina Hamlin, who thank God is a RN, took me to her home and cared for me and delivered me to all my many medical appointments and hospital visits. I was away from my house and my dogs for over a year, until I was healed up enough to be on my own. All the time I was in the hospital, and in a bed or chair at Tina's house, what kept me hanging on was my love for drag racing. And I spent many hours mentally planning my next modifications to my cars, and lots of "test" launches from an imaginary starting line with an imaginary "Christmas Tree". My driving force has been to be strong enough to drive me and my race car trailer to an NMRA or NMCA event in the Midwest or Eastern USA. And Thank God, I did it! My daughter Yvette and her husband James live in Granite City, Illinois and they were able to attend the Superbowl race and bring my 2 Grandsons, William 7, Ben 4, to see Grampa race his Capri. I was inspired to try very hard and was fortunate to qualify in 3rd with a .004 reaction time, and I was able to go to the 2nd. round of Eliminations before exiting. I was pleased when my Grandson William told me "It's OK Grampa, winning is not the most important thing, it's how you competed!" WOW! I don't think any Grampa has ever been any happier! So once again to all involved thanks for a great race experience! DALE S. HEMRICK NMRA/NMCA O/C 9555 NHRA F755

Brumby
07-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Your Grandson is very wise.....

Congratulations for getting out there after all those years.

We will be at NMRA Columbus 2012. 1st time @ NMRA event.

Butterflies, yep we have 'em, but this........... it's on my "bucket list"

Maybe we might see you there.

NMRA Aaron
07-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Sorry to hear all the complications you had. Thank you for coming out with your family and we're all very happy you had a good time! Hope you are able to keep doing what DRIVES you!

GM NITEMARE
07-18-2012, 08:32 AM
How was the fan turn out for this event? I was at MIR in May. And it was brutal. Very few vendors etc. But the bathrooms were sure nice.

MERCAPRI
07-18-2012, 11:22 AM
How was the fan turn out for this event? I was at MIR in May. And it was brutal. Very few vendors etc. But the bathrooms were sure nice.

Hey NITEMARE! Fan and Vendor turnout was pretty good, car count was pretty good in most classes, some of the high money head up classes had a low car count, but that's been status quo for a while now! Route 66 is a very nice facility! MERCAPRI

MERCAPRI
07-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Sorry to hear all the complications you had. Thank you for coming out with your family and we're all very happy you had a good time! Hope you are able to keep doing what DRIVES you!
Thanks Aaron! Good quality racing and racers as always with the NMRA/NMCA! See you at Pomona, I will run O/C in NMCA for that one! Dale

MERCAPRI
07-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Your Grandson is very wise.....

Congratulations for getting out there after all those years.

We will be at NMRA Columbus 2012. 1st time @ NMRA event.

Butterflies, yep we have 'em, but this........... it's on my "bucket list"

Maybe we might see you there.
Brumby, you will do just fine, just get past the first time trial/test run and then run your race! Enjoy! Dale Hemrick